Icebreakers are a great way to start a session and offer you a chance to get to know the guests better. Also, they are a way of getting guests more engaged. Instead of talking at them, it includes them in the conversation and can immediately encourage a good group dynamic that will carry over positive energy to the throwing aspect of the booking.
New Guests, or Unfamiliar Groups
With a new group or guests that don’t know each other, try “quick fire questions”. Everyone goes around says their name, and asks a new member quick questions with quick responses. Try limiting the scope of the questions (eg. questions can't be about food)
Some other ideas for icebreakers are below:
*These questions may be repeated for multiple weeks.
· What are you doing this weekend?
· What did you do this past weekend?
· Give one word to describe how you are currently feeling?
· Give one word to describe what is on your mind?
· Give one word to describe your weekend?
· Icebreaker Cards: (in the office) go around the circle and get each athlete to say their name and then answer a different question from the icebreaker cards.
o Alternative: give each guest an individual card, athlete gets to choose which questions to respond to.
o Alternative: give each guests a card, that guest chooses another guest to ask one of the questions.
· What is one positive thing about your day? Week? Year?
· What's up?
· What are you currently working on in your life? (cannot be work or school related)
· Partner up, find 3-5 things you have in common with that person? (cannot be obvious - both live in Canada, both first time at KAT, etc...)
· Scale of 1-10 (1 being the worst you have felt, 10 being the best), how do you feel today? (can ask this for physical, mental, general, etc...)
· What is a book you recently read? OR a TV show you recently watched?
· What is one of your favourite things to do on the weekend?
· Tell us about 1 personal item you carry with you every day.
· What do you do for fun?
· What is one thing you do to keep your life organized? (could be an activity, practice, or physical thing)
· What do you do to make your day better when you’re having a bad day?
· What is one good thing which has happened to you in the past week?
· What is your favourite hobby?
· What did you do this weekend? What are you doing this weekend?
· Tell us something which happened to you in the past week?
· What's on your mind? What are you thinking about right now?
· What is the most interesting thing you have ever found or won?
· What is the most interesting card in your wallet?
· What do you spend most of your day thinking about?
· What do you collect? (or have you collected in the past?)
· What have you put in your body so far today? (food, liquids, supplements, etc...) - best for morning athletes
If you had to Choose...
· Would you rather be able to fly or breathe underwater?
· If you could be any avenger, who would you be?
· If you could have anyone's voice over your life, who would you choose and why?
· If you could only listen to one song for the rest of your life (whenever you turn on music it would be playing), but different artists could sing it, what song?
· Batman or Spiderman?
· If you could live in any other city in Canada, which city would you live in?
· If you were stranded on a deserted island and could only bring 3 movies, which one would you bring?
· If you had to get rid of one piece of clothing for the rest of your life, what would it be?
· If you could spend time on a beach or mountains, which one would you choose?
· If you could only have 2 foods for breakfast for the rest of your life, what would they be?
· If someone were to play you in a movie who would it be? Who would you want it to be?
· If you could choose an imaginary friend, who would you choose and why?
· If you could be one age forever, which age would you choose and why?
· If you had to change your name, what would you change it to and why?
· If you had to create a slogan for your life, what would your slogan be?
· If you could be any movie or TV character, who would you be?
· Would you rather meet your ancestors or descendants?
· If you could have one superpower what would it be?
· Would you rather have the ability to be invisible or to read minds?
· If you could spend a day with one person from history, who would it be?
· If you could invite 1 famous person (past or present) to dinner who would it be?
· If you could fight one horse sized duck, or 100 duck sized horses, which would you choose?
· If you were a piece of furniture, what furniture would you be and why?
Favourites + FooD
· What is your favourite thing that you own (must be a physical thing)?
· What is your favourite vegetable?
· What’s your favourite sports team?
· What’s your favourite movie?
· What is your favourite childhood memory?
· What is your favourite smell?
· Least favourite ride at the fair?
· What is your favourite holiday? Why?
· What’s your favourite TV show?
· What movie or TV show have you rewatched the most times?
· Describe your ideal meal from start to finish.
· What’s your favourite city/town/place in the world?
· What’s your favourite mythical creature of all time?
· Who’s your favourite superhero?
· What’s your favourite cheat meal?
· What’s your favourite ice cream flavour?
· Beer or wine?
· What’s your go-to restaurant when you don’t want to cook?
· When you went trick or treating as a kid, what was your favourite candy to get? Least favourite?
· If you could only eat at one restaurant for the next year, which would it be?
· What is your favourite question to ask on a first date?
· What is your favourite activity to do on a first date?
· What was your favourite childhood game?
· Favourite Harry Potter book/movie?
PAST + FUTURE
· What new thing do you want to do next?
· What is one of your proudest moments?
· What is the most challenging physical thing you have done?
· Something you are grateful for?
· Tell us about an adventure you have been on.
· What is the longest you have gone without food, water, or sleep?
· What is the most interesting thing you have eaten? (or put in your mouth)
· Name one goal for this year.
· What’s the worst job you’ve ever had?
· What’s the scariest thing you have ever done?
· What’s the weirdest gift you have ever received?
· What’s the last book you read?
· Name the most famous person you’ve seen or met in person.
· Have you broken a habit?
What would you do IF?
· It’s 8am on Tuesday and you are about to start your day. A stranger hands you $10000 cash. The only rule is you must spend it all within 1 hour. What do you buy? (nothing online)
· If you could spend a day with anyone from any time (do not have to be alive) who would it be? (not allowed to choose friends and family)
· If you could learn one new language, which one, and why?
· If there was a zombie apocalypse, where would you go?
· If you were sent to live on a space station for three months and allowed to bring only one personal item with you, what would it be?
· If you were to open your own business what would it be?
· If you had a time machine for the weekend, where would you go?
· If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?
· Where do you hope to live when you retire?
· If you had 10 million dollars how would you spend it?
· If you could play any sport professionally, what would it be and why? (you can invent a sport as long as you can justify how you would play it, e.g. professional gardening planting flowers for time)
· If you could go without sleeping or without eating, which would you choose and why?
· If you ruled the world, and could make 1 thing a national day (where everyone had to do it), what would that be? (e.g. a day of playing with dogs, ice cream day, exercise day, etc…)
· If you became president of the world, what would you do first?
· If you could go back in time and be the inventor of one thing, what would it be and why?
· What ancient civilization would you like to belong to?
Quirks AND Personality Traits
· What physical talent/quirk do you have? Strangest thing you can do with your body?
· What is your biggest fear?
· What are you anal about?
· What’s your mundane super power? (e.g. ambidextrous, very organized, good at cleaning)
· Something you are grateful for?
· What’s your pet peeve?
· What do you do when you are procrastinating?
· What is your name? What does your name get mistaken for? (what do people mistakenly call you)
· What is something 'weird' or unusual you do? (e.g. wax ears 3x/day, collect binoculars, etc...)
· What are you superstitious about?
· What is something you know a lot about?
· What is something you should be embarassed about but are not?
PETS + ANIMALS
· If you were making an all animal football team (with one type of animal), which animal would you choose and why?
· If you could tame any animal to be your pet, what animal?
· If you were a turtle and could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?
· If you woke up tomorrow as an animal, which animal would you choose to be and why?
· Porn star name: “Name of first pet” + “First street you lived on”
· If you could have the appendage of any animal, what would you choose? (e.g. gills, wings, antennas)
· What is your spirit animal?